Now that we are fully aware of the benefits and advantages of medical coding, I believe that many of you out there have the urgent urge to get your hands around this field because of the great prospect which this job might bring them in the future. However, before any harsh decision is made from your end, it would definitely be worth-while for us to review and understand what are on the other side of medical coding? There are always pro and cons in almost everything, therefore it is beneficial for us to review and understand both sides of medical coding for good.
Below are some of the key common disadvantages which have been shared for medical coding;
1. Difficult to be breaking into this medical field. This is especially true if you are a fresh graduate with a certificate or degree in medical coding looking for your first job. Most employers preferred medical coders with experiences because they can save up some extensive training cost and time required to provide hands-on trainings to the new hire. Thus, it is really a challenge for new hire with less or no experience in this medical field to gain their market value and competitiveness.
2. Once you find your way into the coding world, it is up to the respective personnel to make it to the top or stay where they were as in the start. It is the diligence and effort from the individual himself which will drive him to succeed as a great medical coder or otherwise. However one thing about medical coding is that anyone who wishes to be a medical coder will need to be patience, hardworking and possess of self-discipline during the process of becoming a qualified medical coder. There is no short cut in getting your way into the related coding field except going through the proper path of education and training which require at least 2-3 years to obtain the prestigious certification to lead your career path to be a successful professional medical coder.
3. Relocation is one of the option to advance in your career as a medical coder. However relocation can be an advantage for some people while at the same time it can be a disadvantage for others. Not everyone is willing to move to a brand new city or town with unfamiliar faces and places for his career advancement. Therefore, relocation can be a disadvantage for medical coders who are staying together with their family.
4. As the name of the profession tells it all, any students in this coding field have to deal with a lot of coding and abbreviations. It can be pretty torturing if you are not good in memorizing words or names and it can turn out to be a terrible nightmare for anyone who has to give up on his/her medical coding education because of the complexities in remembering and digesting the coding required to excel in the medical coding field.
5. It is very normal for medical coders to be working for long hours in the hospitals, clinics, doctor offices or even in the insurance companies. There are a serious lacking of work-life balance for most of the medical coders today.
6. Also, medical coding is a stressful job considering the accuracy that these medical coders will need to enforce in their job because any mistakes made will lead to no payments or long pending claims from the insurance companies itself.